Topic Research | Storybook Project - Music

I decided to look into the possibility of doing a project centered around music. Based off of the Project Ideas page, I was able to find some characters in the Indian Epics who are skilled musicians or dancers.

The first character I would like to look into is Ravana. I have started to read about Ravana in the Ramayana. He is the villian of this epic. However, after researching more on Wikipedia, I found out that Ravana is often resembled as the maestro of the veena. This means he can be seen as a conductor with ten heads who is a skilled player and instructor of this plucked string instrument. Because he is the maestro, I could see myself writing a lot about him and his evil plots throughout Ravana and creatively tying them into composing, directing and choreographing a show.

(Ravana. Web Source: Wikimedia

In the Mahabharata, Krishna is a central character and major deity. He is known for compassion, tenderness and love. Along with that, he is known for his famous flute. Something cool that I learned while researching Krishna is that a lot of Indian dance and music are inspired by Krishna-related stories. Many pictures I saw of him depicted him holding the flute. It would be fun to write creatively in my spin off of a PlayBill about all of the work he did as a God of both care and music. 

Along with music, I want to feature dance in my StoryBook because I think that dance is a crucial element in the arts. That being said, Nataraja, the Lord of Dance, has to be a part of my project. I was able to find a lot of information about the style of his dance and his characteristics. This would be great information to help expand my creativity. 

Comments

Popular Posts