Feedback Thoughts | Week 3

I read two articles based on the ideas of feedback and praise. Furthermore, how one can utilize feedback to either help or hinder a person or group's growth mindset.

The first article I read was The Difference Between Praise and Feedback. I found myself and my family members to be very guilty of utilizing only praise to encourage hard work. Carol Dweck from Stanford University and Edward Deci from University of Rochester had done research on human motivation. They both came to the conclusion that praising a child will only create in them a desire to impress in fear that they will lose approval or love from the person giving the praise. Instead of praising the person, many have re-wired to praise the process or how hard they are working. However, this still hinders the growth mindset and creates the same insecure effects. I N S T E A D, the article suggests simply asking a child about their creation or hard work. Ask about their favorite part or if they learned anything new. After that? Listen. Simply giving a child confidence and being interested increases their autonomy and encourages them to think further on their work.

(Feedback. Web Source: Pexels).

The second article I read was Be A Mirror. This article focuses on the concept of becoming a mirror to give feedback that will encourage growth mindset. I chose this article because I had never heard of the concept of "being a mirror". The goal is to reflect back to a person what they have done without judgment. It listed five steps to being a mirror through your feedback:

  1. Be specific.
  2. Focus on what they are doing - not what they are missing.
  3. Focus on the process and work they have put in.
  4. Make sure in can transfer to future work.
  5. Take yourself out of the feedback. 
I hope to further explore these ideas and utilize them in future leadership roles! 

Comments

Popular Posts