Feedback Thoughts

I read two articles based on the concepts of feedback and criticism.

The first article I read was 14 Signs Your Perfectionism Has Gotten Out Of Control. This article caught my eye because I am a struggling perfectionist, which is the greatest double-edged sword in our time. This article connected my frequent procrastination with my perfectionist personality - what is getting in the way is my perfectionism. There is a need to be perfect and a fear of failure, so I often delay starting projects if I am not confident in them. Perfectionists also tend to be defensive when criticized. I grew up in auditions, constantly being critiqued by directors and teachers, so I am used to criticism. However, I would be lying if I said I don't hate it. This article was a good reminder to try and be at peace with criticism and truly learn from it, knowing that it isn't personal.

The second article I read was Recalibrating the Perfectionist Mind. Again, I felt like I could learn a lot from this article, especially after reading the first article. An interesting point that I want to utilize is creating a "Recovery Routine". Being a perfectionist, I have a success ritual, which is tiring and time-consuming. Instead of only creating a pattern for success, it is important to create a pattern for dealing with failure and growing from that. Creating this recovery routine will take time and persistence, but I think it will definitely alleviate stress and help in the future with combatting failure and perfectionism.

(Perfectionism. Web Source: Pixabay)

Comments

  1. I am so glad you saw that article about the routines and patterns, Camryn: it's hard to establish new routines and change habits, but that really is how lasting change happens. As a performer, you have so much more experience with all of this than a typical student does, and it also means you have seen the harsh side of criticism too, with people who are maybe helping you but also sometimes maybe putting you down because of criticism THEY received in the past themselves. Perfectionism is a really vicious cycle that way: perfectionists might end up beating up not just on themselves but on others too, and not even know it! I really hope this class can be a way for everybody to just relax and ENJOY the learning process. And I really believe we all learn more than way too, especially with creative expressions like writing where the whole goal is to take risks and be creative, not knowing what will happen, but being willing to experiment and see! Creation, not stagnation! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts