Growth Mindset | A New Point of View

Before taking this course, I had never heard of Carol Dweck and growth mindset. However, this idea came to be a shock for me; furthermore, I realized that I am guilty of learning for the reward of an A or completion of a task. I am a slave to my to-do list, and I seem to only feel accomplished when I can cross something off as a job well done. This is known as what Dweck calls a fixed mindset.

A fixed mindset is one that runs from error. Along with that, a fixed mindset often cannot see past now. What growth mindset is aiming at is to remove people from the boxed in idea of now and instant reward. Instead, it aims to progress to a "not yet" mindset. I find this very intriguing because I think this is a major problem in our current education system. With a not yet mindset, a person utilizes critical thinking and past experiences to problem solve and be an innovative thinker.

This semester, I hope to learn more about the growth mindset. Because it is something that applies to me, it is definitely important for me to learn more about and eventually apply. I think that my current learning style is very fixed, and I would like to change that because I am heading to graduate school. In graduate school, I will be more hands-on in preparation for my job. In that setting, I want to strengthen my problem solving skills rather than learn how to find the correct answer. Graduate school will be a difficult, tasking time, and I want my learning style to be beneficial in my future job. I hope to learn about different ways to leave behind my fixed mindset. Along with that, I hope to gain skills that can mold my learning style from a "right now" mindset to a "not yet" mindset. Below you will see something I struggle with and hope to overcome: the fear of being wrong.


(Growth Mindset Cat. Web Source: cheezburger)

Comments

  1. I am so glad to be the one to introduce you to Carol Dweck's work on growth mindset, Camryn! Fantastic! Especially since you are planning to go into the medical field, I hope you will want to learn more about growth mindset in this class: it's a way that you can open up yourself to more learning and, just as importantly, it could be really useful to helping patients that you see getting stuck in ideas about their health. People's beliefs about their health can be really limiting and even harmful, and if you can use growth mindset as a way to help them work on their self-beliefs, that can be really powerful, especially since a big part of what medical professionals are doing is helping patients to learn how to take better care of themselves. It's not learning like in a classroom, but it is definitely still a form of learning! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts