Week 6 Story | Satyavati's Father

Satyavati: 
But father, I love him! You don't understand. I have been searching for a suitable husband, and I have found the one! Can you not look past your differences and see the goodness in Shantanu

Satyavati's Father: 
No. And that is my final answer.

Satyavati:
I understand that this was not a part of your perfect plan for me, but he is the one who can my fulfill future needs and provide for us a family. 

Satyavati's Father: 
Do you not see that he belittles our wages? Fishermen are not seen with a keen eye from men such as him. He sees himself as better than, and I refuse to be looked down upon by the husband of my daughter. You are my life, and I refuse to have you taken by such a man.

Satyavati:
But father, we could be the heir to the thrown. Imagine the good fortune that I could share with you.

Satyavati's Father:
Ah Sati. Have you not heard? Bhishma is already deemed Shantanu's successor. You would gain nothing.

Satyavati:
Have YOU not heard? The love of a brother is almost as strong as the love of a spouse. Bhishma, realizing Shantanu's love for me, has renounced his seat at the thrown. For he sees that this will remove all joy in his life by removing me-

Satyavati's Father: 
Sati. You look at this with such youthful eyes. But with youth comes ignorance. Shantanu's children could one day become-

Satyavati:
FATHER! If you would listen! Bhishma has also renounced the opportunity to father children. He wants the heir to be held in the hands of Shantanu and me. 

Satyavati's Father: 
I see. I still am not happen with the turn of events. Your future husband should be one that is daring, courageous, cunning, and noble. How can I be sure that Shantanu can behold these characteristics?

Satyavati:
Trust me, Father! You will see! 


(Shantanu seeks out Satyavati. Web Source: Wikimedia).

Author's Note: This story is the unwritten dialogue between Satyavati and her father. While Shantanu and Satyavati had fallen in love, she did not have her father's blessing to marry him because Bhishma was the heir to the thrown. To help his brother, Bhishma renounced his heir to the thrown and renounced the option to have children of his own one day. This news changed Satyavati's father's mind, and her and Shantanu end up marrying and bearing children. I decided to write this story like a script for a play. 

Bibliography: PDE Mahabharata



Comments

  1. I love your version of the story!
    The narrative addition adds a lot to the overall story. In this version, you really get the sense of Satayavati and her fathers motives. your dialogue feels genuine and it would not be weird if it were to be added to the original story! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Camryn!
    I loved how you gave more insight into the story as opposed to rewriting the original. I would have never thought of something so creative. I also loved how it was a back and forth between the two, and in the end her father still did not want her to get married, but she did it anyway. Thanks for the good read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts