Reading Notes | Sita Sings the Blues A

This week, I decided to watch "Sita Sings the Blues" for my reading. I am glad that I chose to watch this because it was hard to take notes of some of the details throughout the Ramayana when I was strictly reading it. However, as I watched the movie, I started to notice a lot of things that I may have skimmed over or missed when I read the epic the first time. It also emphasized some different things.

(Sita and Ravana. Web Source: Wikimedia)

My favorite part about this film was the narrators. They were very humorous and kept the film upbeat and lively. They gave a nice background to characters and stories before they happened, so I feel like I was able to comprehend more of the story. I noticed how this film version did not mention Lakshmana until the very end. This was surprising because the Ramayana version I read emphasized his venture into exile with Rama and Sita; furthermore, Lakshmana helped to look over Sita and to battle Rakshishis with Rama. I also did not focus much on Hanuman's role in the Ramayana, and I now realize how crucial he is to the plot!

Bibliography: Sita Sings The Blues by Nina Paley

Comments

Popular Posts