Reading Notes | Sita Sings the Blues B

As I mentioned before, I chose to watch Sita Sings the Blues for my reading notes this week. I chose to do this because I was hoping to find clarity on some of the plot that I had not previously understood. Along with that, it helped to fill in the empty holes of the stories I had to skim over.

When I first read the Ramayana, I was very confused by the love story between Sita and Rama and how their emotions towards each other evolved throughout the story. It was often hard to follow how the two felt regarding each other because there were a few stories in between each story that included a development in their "love story". I learned that Sita never once strayed from loving Rama. This was made clear through all of the blues she sang throughout the film. However, Rama often doubted Sita and her purity. I was also confused as to why Sita was sent into exile. After watching, I realized that Rama did not really want to do this, but it was crucial to gain respect of his kingdom. Along with that, Rama still doubted Sita's purity. The narrators made it very clear that Sita never betrayed Rama, and this was a confusion of mine while reading the Ramayana that was cleared up by the film.

(Rama doubts Sita. Web Source: Wikimedia).

Bibliography: Sita Sings The Blues by Nina Paley

Comments

Popular Posts